Name: Ethan Hensley
Age: 17, Rising Senior at Huntsville High School
Member Since: May 2016
- Why did you join CrossFit? And how long have you been CrossFitting?
I joined CrossFit for a few reasons.
- How has it changed you? And how has it helped you in your daily grind, athletics?
- How did you change your diet and incorporate that into your daily routine/crossfit? If you haven't that's fine just skip this one! I haven't really changed much of my diet except that I started to cut down on the quantity of portions I would from a fast food chain. Instead of ordering 2 chick fil a sandwhich meals I'll get 1 now. I choose to drink more water and stay hydrated. I choose to order more healthy selections at restaurants like steak and salmon and I have increased my range of green vegetables a ton.
- What do you think of Hampton Cove CrossFit?
1) My parents do it and my uncle does it. Both my Dad and Uncle have gained so much muscle and weight doing it and they both look good. I figured I'm in the peak of adolescence and puberty and might as well start working out so I don't go to college as skinny as a bean pole. Plus, I've always been fascinated with muscles. They look good, make you feel cool and are fun to stare at in the mirror.
2) I've been teetering on dropping the high school sports I've been doing for some time and needed another way to stay in shape. CrossFit provides that for me. I have a ball doing it and the community at HCC has really helped me stick with it. I love lifting weights and all the unique movements CrossFit provides.
CrossFit has changed me in many ways. To name a few it has helped my confidence, my body's figure, and overall athleticism. I wasn't the strongest kid in the weight room the summer before my sophomore year of high school but I knew I loved lifting weights the moment I stepped in the weight room at Huntsville High. CrossFit gave me an extra advantage in the weight room and quickly I was noticing I was stronger and more in overall shape than most of the kids on the basketball team, of course my track and cross country seasons helped get me in stamina shape. Over the past winter break, my track team was tasked with running over the course of the break. Simple enough but I hate running when I'm told to and naturally I took 2 weeks off from running. I lifted, or did Crossfit, however, 4 or 5 days a week over the course of 2 weeks. My mile (1600 meters) time before I went on break was 5:08, my mile time after break was 5:07. I didn't run at all. Call it what you want, teenage adrenaline or pubescent testosterone rage but I know that if I hadn't done crossfit I would've lost my time and fitness. Fast forward 2-3 months and my mile time has decreased again to 4:50. Crossfit works and it has improved every aspect of my athletic routine, basketball, running, strength, confidence and mental toughness.
It has helped my daily grind a tremendous amount. My mental toughness has increased to astronomical numbers and CrossFit is the benefactor. Before I would quit or slack off in several physical activities but once I started CrossFit, the coaches and other classmates really pushed me to step up my game. I also have a very competitive personality, my Dad can tell you first hand. I hate losing or falling behind in something, seeing someone I think or even know I am better than make a lift that's heavier than me makes me strive to do better and push myself. This self-pushing doesn't just happen in CrossFit but in track and every other sport I play too. CrossFit has helped me test my limits and really see what kind of athlete I can be.
Hampton Cove CrossFit is a wonderful place. I love being there. Every time I open the doors I am greeted by everyone there. You are always welcomed with open arms and the coaches are great. They really know how to coach to your needs and make suggestions I would never think about. They're programming is solid, it covers a full range of the constantly varied movements that CrossFit is founded on. HCC is a wonderful community with a great family vibe to it.